Friday, June 27, 2008

Podcasts: Audio time suckers

I am sounding negative, I know, but it's me, not them. I can get sucked into audio but there is a time commitment for each podcast. I can't scan the thing, check the last sentence to decide if I want to spend that time (and how much anyway?) on it. I do listen to some podcasts semi-regularly but they are mostly radio shows that I have to miss when they are broadcast and that I know I will want to hear. I listen on my computer, over speakers, so it is like listening to the radio -- I don't like headphone and earbuds and I can get things done without being roped to the computer or feeling cut off from my surroundings by headphones.

I know my daughter would enjoy storytime-type podcasts -- she loves listening to kids books in audio -- but they would need to be high quality audio and the random casts from libraries that I listened to where low in the department. Maybe that's the thing that made me feel most where not worth my time, the low quality sound. I am used to listening to podcasts of professional radio shows (This American Life, Fresh Air, etc) and these had such a cheesy, made in the basement feel that I wasn't intereted. Hmm, maybe I am an audio-snob.

No comments: