Monday, June 9, 2008

Technorati sucks...

Technorati, you are what the Internet was in its infancy -- the great time-sucker! Back in the day, before the graphical World Wide Web, I used a 14.4 bit modem to dial into my university's servers and spend hours lumbering through the Usenet world, amazed by who was there and what they were talking about (geek, sure, voyeristic, must have been). Then came the Web and Mosaic and I spent way too much time slowly surf the 'net. As the WWW has "matured" and search engines improved, the time spent actually surfing has been reduced dramatically (okay, maybe I also had other things to do with my time by then) so I was startled to find I had spent, well, way too much time surfing Technorati from blog to blog, headline to headline. It's a real killer -- even if you go to the business section, you still get the "rising" entertainment headlines at the bottom and who can resist "Burger King Saved Robert Downey, Jr's Life" (no wait! that was on in the business section! ack!).

I like it, a little too much. I can see using it to find blogs that might be useful to patrons -- to find books to add to my GoodReads account :) Now, I think I've spent more than enough time on this particular piece of our Web2.0 training...

No comments: