Monday, June 30, 2008

Tweeting on Twitter and Tumbling

Twitter
When Twitter first arrived, when...? last year sometime, I was pretty disgusted with the whole thing but that just shows how little imagination I have. When I recently found the Portland Police's twitter account, I was facinated! It is a mix of official-type annoucements and personal comments. I don't know how official the account is -- is it run by or sanctioned by the Bureau? Some of the comments that seem to coming from officers are a tad less professional than one might expect if it was an official vehicle of communication but maybe the Bureau is cooler than I think (maybe not). The number of follower is not huge but I was impressed considering it is a police force.

I haven't found that many libraries are using it and those that do seem to be academic (makes sence considering the demographic). I think we could maintain an account, meaning I think we would have enough to tweet about regularly but I don't think we'd have enough followers to justify the effort. In the future, if this microblogging thing sticks around and grows sufficiently, I think it would be a reasonable thing for the library to participate in.

Of course, Twitter would have to be more reliable than it is now -- today I have to reload the page at least once for every click I make. Is this normal? It was the same last year when I was checking it out but maybe that's just my luck.

Tumblr
Love the Tumblr Documentary!!

tumblr. - The Documentary from DaveAOK on Vimeo.

I could see myself using this until I watched the documentary, sigh. Geeks. But funny, those geeks.

Actually, if it can be embedded in the website, this might be a great thing for a library.

No comments: