Saturday, June 14, 2008

Wiki, Wiki World

I hope I'm not disqualified because I maintain the Fugitive Facts wiki here at work. Clearly, I see the value of wikis in the library since I created one. The FFwiki is not as collaborative as I would like it to be but it began as a paper file so much of what we need was added at the beginning. It seems that most people give me the information to add or let me know when something needs to be added rather than doing it themselves (that's fine, it works).

I love St Joseph County's subject guides and am trying to not feel insecure because their's looks like a "real" wiki and the FFwiki doesn't. There are no rules for look and feel right? Ours does the job. Enough about my insecurities. I wonder if we did a public wiki if we (the librarians) would have the staying power to keep it going, we seem to be a project-with-an-end-type group. Alas, it seems we will not have the opportunity to try because we are doomed to wait (and wait and wait) for Sirsi's Rooms and then struggle to keep those up. Hmmm, sounding negative now. We've been waiting for rooms for years now and we could have had a wiki up and running easily by now. Ah, well.

We could certainly use something like OpenWorldCat's reviews, would help our Reader's Advisory as would GoodReads, see Allen County PL.

No comments: